Connection in the Time of COVID
It’s safe to say that social media has played a large role in informing, connecting and entertaining the public during the COVID-19 crisis. The widespread lockdown and increased time at home naturally increased social media consumption. According to Social Media Today, people spent over 20 percent more time in social media apps during the COVID-19 lockdown. By utilizing unique content like virtual tours, live streams and Q&A sessions, Coles Marketing helped our clients stand out from the noise online and connect with their audience during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Social media strategies are not a one-size-fits-all solution, especially during the COVID-19 crisis. For some of our healthcare clients, the objective was to use social media platforms primarily as a source of information for the public. Clients in other industries used social media to connect and engage with followers in innovative ways during their time at home.
Here are a few ways Coles Marketing connected with our clients’ audiences on social media platforms:
- We orchestrated an online photo contest and asked all followers to share a photo along with tagging the client and using the specific contest hashtag.
- We published a Facebook Live stream of an awards ceremony scheduled in April so the show could still go on!
- We hosted multiple Q&A sessions on Facebook and had experts answer questions about the products they offer.
- We published many virtual tours, so followers were able to check out exhibits from the comfort of their home.
- We used the platforms of an assisted living facility to share positive photos and videos of residents who were not able to see their families in person.
- We started a campaign called #TriviaTuesday and encouraged followers to answer questions each Tuesday — a pleasant diversion from COVID-19.
Our efforts to create new and unique ways to engage various audiences were successful and resulted in increased followers, engagement and impressions.
These analytic results from the past few months show social media audiences are eager to engage with organizations through their social media platforms:
- For one of our clients, Facebook fans increased by 49%. Engagement and impressions increased by 54% and 57%, respectively.
- For another one of our clients, Facebook engagement increased by 166% while impressions increased by 222%.
- For another client, Facebook impressions increased by 291% while Twitter engagement increased by 463%.
What’s the role of social media moving forward?
The pandemic has presented a need for brands and organizations to connect and co-create with followers through organic media. The results of our social media analytics indicate audiences reacted positively to unique organic content. While we still recommend paid media to our clients, organic media is still an important piece of their online presence.
All social media platforms are frequently updating their pages to help individuals and businesses connect with their online community. For example, Facebook recently added tools like group video chatting, digital gift cards and a COVID-19 update feature to promote virtual connection and consumption during this time. Coles Marketing is always staying up to date and utilizing all the social media industry has to offer our clients.
If you need assistance expanding your brand awareness and creating engaging content, give us a call today at 317-571-0051!
By Caroline Voelz
Social Media Manager